Trakošćan castle of Croatia is one of the best historic sites of Croatia. The classic building of Trakošćan castle is well preserved and maintained which was constructed in the 13th century. The remains of the originally constructed structure of Trakošćan castle are found in the walls of the north-east wing, the central tower and the entrance tower on the south-east side. Trakošćan castle was built as a defense fortification network of the Zagorje principality and in the beginning the Trakošćan estate was in the possession of Jan Vitovec and after that it was taken over by Ivaniš Korvin who presented it to his deputy Ban (Vice-Roy) Ivan Gyulay. In 1566, Trakošćan castle was taken over by the Royal Treasury. After this, the king granted the estate to Cardinal and Croatian Ban Juraj Drašković who remained its hereditary owners until World War II.
Trakošćan castle has also been used as a fortification and as a housing unit which is comprised of a small fortified yard, and a massive high tower.The location of Trakošćan castle is magnificent which makes it more glorious.
Presently Trakošćan castle of Croatia houses a large group of portraits showing more than ten generations of the Drašković family and their relatives. Moreover, the collection features an interesting group of Drašković army officers from the time of the Seven-Year War which may be judged as a good example of the 18th century popular painting. There is also a group of works called “The Four Continents” by Mihael Stroy, the best-known Biedermeier painter in this part of the world.In 1953, Trakošćan castle of Croatia was established as the Museum with collections on permanent. Presently, the castle is today owned by the Republic of Croatia.